Can the petitioner use his assets to meet the i-864 requirements of the joint sponsor?

Asked about 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

my brother in law is jointly sponsoring my immigrating wife because i didn't have sufficient income. but i just found out his income is actually about $700 short of the requirement. can i use cash from my bank account as an asset to cover the remaining amount?

1. J Charles Ferrari

5

Answered . No, as it is not his asset.

2. Stacy Chiang

5

Answered . When one uses assets to satisfy the household income requirement, normally the value of the assets needs to be 5 times the difference between his/her actual household income and the required amount under poverty guidelines for his/her household size. In your case, your brother would need to have $3500 more in his bank account, not yours. So you may need to gift $3500 to your brother. I suggest you speak to an experienced attorney in filling out your From I-864.

3. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . Yes.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

5

Answered . Generally speaking yes. It is always best to consult an immigration attorney.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

5

Answered . Sure, if you want to make a $3,500 GIFT (5 times the shortfall) .. he can show it as an asset.