Can the person who got a temporary restraining order (that I filed) use one of the attorneys I discussed my case with?

Providence, RI |

I discussed my case with a few attorney's on the phone, before the restraining order was served. Now I've been told that the other party is going to be hiring an attorney. Can they contact/hire one of the attorneys I discussed my case with? I dont want them to know what evidence I have.

In Maine if you called an attorney and had a phone consult (meaning you discussed the facts of the case with the attorney) then they cannot represent the other party. I would call the attorney they hired and tell them that you consulted with them and object to them represented the other party (have your attorney do this). Of course, not being licensed in RI I could be wrong and therefore it is better if you ask your current attorney about this.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.