Can the paramour be subpoenaed in a divorce case?

Asked 10 months ago - Baltimore, MD

I'm separated from my spouse and I know who the person is that my spouse has been involved with for a while now as this was the cause of our separation. Can I have this person subpoenaed and would their testimony be enough to prove a case of adultery for an absolute divorce? Also, does having someone subpoenaed greatly increase the lawyer's fees? Thank you.

1. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

5

Answered . Yes, the paramour can be brought into court pursuant to a Subpoena, but whether or not you want to do this should be discussed with your own attorney.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, you can subpoena the paramour.

3. Matthew Scott Johnston

2

2

Answered . Yes, you can subpoena the paramour, but this is a tactical/strategic move that should be discussed with your attorney. There are some costs involved in issuing a subpoena, namely the cost of serving the subpoena if done by private process server. But bear in mind that a witness subject to subpoena can move to quash the subpoena on the grounds of undue burden or embarrassment and the effort to enforce the subpoena may increase your fees to the lawyer.

4. Dean George Tsourakis

Pro

4

1

Answered . Yes. No.

5. Cathleen Marie Vitale

2

Answered . Of course. The question to be asked, is whether or not the individual will truthfully testify on the stand? Do they have any protected rights? For example, adultery is still a crime in MD. many individuals hide behind the 5th amendment on this issue.

6. Lee Alan Thompson

1

Answered . Yes you can and on the fees, not necessarily.