Can the other drivers insurance company call the police if i dont have insurance but the cop thought i did

Asked over 1 year ago - Houghton, MI

my proof said it was good, but wasn't, it had lapsed no one was hurt in the accident, only a scratch and slightly bent pipe on the bus, it was a small school bus...am i going to go to jail for fraud

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

8

Answered . You could certainly be charged with no insurance. That's a misdemeanor and up to the police and prosecutor. You will almost certainly be sued by the other persons insurance co for any money they pay out to fix the vehicle.

2. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

4

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Klisz that it would be up to the police or prosecutor. In the last 25 years I have worked as a police officer, insurance agent, and attorney and have never seen an insurance company call the police because someone didn't have insurance in a minor accident even though the certificate said it was valid. Frankly, most of the time, when the cops are done with the accident report, they prefer to stay done with it. But, as Attorney Klisz suggested, you could be sued for the damages. If so, call a lawyer right away. I hope this is a good lesson why you should not drive without insurance. Good luck!

3. Michael Shemtoub

6

Answered . You need to immediately consult an attorney. You have a situation that can really affect the rest of your life so you should call a local attorney immediately.

4. Jonathan P. Groth

Pro

5

1

Answered . I don't think the situation is as dire at Micheal implies in his answer. I'd recommend you talk to an attorney to simply put your mind at ease. There are additional questions to answer: Were you cited? Do you intend on paying for the damage?

5. Kevin Coluccio

5

Answered . Yes - the have the right to contact the police. I would consult with a local traffic ticket attorney prior to talking further with the police.

Pro

4

Answered . If charged, retain a local traffic court lawyer to defend. Please get insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  7. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

3

Answered . Call a lawyer in your city and let him advice you. Best of luck.