Can the opposing person sue me?

On Feb 15, 2013. I was going down a busy 2 lane road and the cars infront of me slammed their brakes and I did too but there was a car behind me that didn't stop and it me on my left rear side and my car went to the opposing lane and went head on with it, i just came out with sprained wrist but my car got totalled and the car from the opposing lane too. And the car that hit from the rear, ran away from the scene. A month or so later the insurance company lets me go because I'm not at fault and on the last insurance statement it said that their claims were denied. But today, I received a call from my insurance company and they said that the car coming from the opposing lane has sued me. How can they sue me? I'm just as much as a victim as they are.

High Point, NC -

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Roseville, CA

There's nothing preventing someone from filing suit in a situation like this. Sometimes attorneys will sue marginal parties just to be sure they are covering all bases. The more important question is whether they will be successful in the suit which will require that they prove some negligence on your part. Your insurance company will hire a lawyer to defend you and that lawyer will advise you on all of the considerations in your case.

George Costas Andriotis

George Costas Andriotis

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Tarpon Springs, FL

Let your insurance company defend the claim. That's what you pay your premium for. The car that rear ended you likely doesn't have insurance coverage so bringing a claim against you is the other cars only option.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
Matthew C Simon

Matthew C Simon

Personal Injury Lawyer - Parsippany, NJ

Report this to your insurance company ASAP. They should handle it for you.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Simply report it to your insurance company to defend.

Related Advice