Can the new child support payment guidelines enacted Oct 2010 in Maryland affect my current payment obligations?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Stevensville, MD

I am paying child support for a case heard several years prior to the Oct 1st 2010 change. I have re-adjusted (increased) child support payments annually based on the original calculator we used to appropriately reflect increases in salary. Neither I nor my ex-spouse are earning substantially more or less money since the new child support law took effect. If my ex-spouse requests that we now use the new calculations method, is this required and/or justified?

1. Keith R Havens

Pro

Answered . In order for child support to be modified, there must be a showing of a material change in circumstances. This means that there must be a substantial increase or decrease by one or both of you. Absent such a material change, then there is no entitled to a modification. Without an entitled to a modification, neither the new or current guidelines will be used. If a modification did occur or should occur in the future, the court will use the new guidelines.

You may wish to speak with an attorney.