Can the mechanic keep my car if I didn't get an estimate and he did repairs without my consent and moved my car down the road he

Asked over 1 year ago - Park Rapids, MN

he has had the car for a month and wont answer phone calls can I take my car

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jeremy Judson Cobb

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . See Minn. Stat. 514.18, which conditions the mechanics' lien on the performance of repairs "at the request of the owner or legal possessor" of the car.

    A letter or call from an attorney probably would do the trick. If the police won't become involved, which they almost certainly won't, then you'd have to sue to get your car back.

  2. Deborah Anne Weber

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . If you did not consent to the repair a mechanic's lien will not apply to your car. I recommend you have an attorney contact the mechanic

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,147 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,147 answers this week

2,914 attorneys answering