Skip to main content

Can the mayor issue a pardon for a terroristic threat?

Houston, TX |

10 years ago, I was charged with a class b misdemeanor terroristic threat because I told my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend not to come back to my house or I would shoot her. I plead no contest because I didnt have the money to pay a lawyer. Six years later, this becomes an issue for my job as a nurse because of a new Texas law where nurses cant work for any facility who bills Medicare/Medicaid. Can the mayor issue a pardon? This person had been coming to my house and because she worked near a HPD substation, she called one of the police officers, who happened to be her friend. I was cuffed and charged with a terroristic threat, even though she kept coming to our apartment. I realize this would remain on my record but I would be able to get off of housing and foodstamps in order to work again.

Attorney Answers 3


Under Texas law, the authority to grant pardons and clemency is vested in the governor. See:

You should consult with a Texas lawyer in order to evaluate options you may have to minimize or eliminate the adverse consequences flowing from your conviction.

Mark as helpful


The only one who can grant a pardon is the Governor of the state. However, if its a federal crime, which it doesn't sound like, then it would take a Presidential pardon to have it removed.

You may have a right to sealing and/or expungement and that could be granted by a local judge.

Consult with a local attorney to see if you meet the conditions for sealing your record.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful


Depending on how the charge was resolved- if a deferred adjudication- you might be entitled to seal the record. If not, and it's a conviction your only hope is a pardon by the governor of the state.

Good luck

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics