Can the Landlord charge the Tenant for the water bill of a condo in MA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Southwick, MA

I have leased a town house in MA . In my lease contract it states that the Tenant is responsible for utility bills. Do I have to pay the water bills because it is under the Landlord's name. Tnx

1. James Thomas Kinder

3

Answered . I agree with the prior response and would add that your water usage must be separately monitored.

2. Julie Court Molloy

2

Answered . I agree with my colleague, but also note that different communities bill on different periods of time. For instance, Sandwich only bills twice per year. You may want to check with municipality to see when they bill, and arrange to have bill delivered to you at the property, rather than to landlord.

Although, landlord may not consider this a "utility" that you are supposed to pay, so you may want to ask landlord about this.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. If your lease states that you are responsible for utilities, then generally a tenant is responsible for the water bills even though the water bill is in the landlord's name. So long as the bill is legitimate and accurately reflects the water usage for your unit, you are obligated to pay it.