Can the IRS try to collect from a return in 2009 that I got a refund originally from?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

In May of 2010, I received a letter from the IRS saying that the amount of my 2009 return that I was expecting was increased because I had missed a credit (that was new that year) and they had computed the new amount for me, which was really a nice unexpected surprise. Last week I received a letter from an IRS office, it was more like a bill, saying that I owe almost $10,000 in taxes on my 2009 return and to send a check by November 26. Obviously if they sent me the original letter saying that I had more money coming to me, someone had to look at my return, figure out that I had not taken that new credit , so how can 4 years later they can say that I owe $10,000 on the same return ??? Shouldnt the original letter I received be proof that I dont owe that money?

1. Evan A Nielsen

3

Answered . Yes to all the above. The IRS can attempt to correct and the letter you received previously is important in addressing the situation. This can be sorted out and more likely than not, the IRS will have all the records necessary to do so but clearly someone's not looking at all the information. It will take some time and expertise to address but it can be done. You'll be wise to enlist the assistance of a tax attorney. Don't try to do this on your own.

Evan A. Nielsen
    1255 W. Colton Ave., #506 | Redlands, CA 92374
    Main: 909.363.4658 | Fax: 480.304.3211
    Evan.Nielsen@NLGLaw.com
    www.NielsenLawGroup.net

Mention this Post for a free consultation.

2. Christopher Michael Larson

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. The missed credit was caught immediately when the return was processed. However, some deduction on the return was likely caught later. This is very common as a human will often review the deduction before an audit notice is sent. The missed credit is automatic because it is so easily caught. The deductions are often not caught until the IRS runs its filters and pulls up returns that are "flagged" because of odd or large deductions.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Lawyer - Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer - Everett
    Tax Attorney - Federal Way
    Tax Attorney - Bothell
    Seattle IRS Building
    Estate Planning Attorney
    Seattle Wills Lawyer
    Seattle Trusts Attorney
    Seattle Probate Lawyer
    Seattle Bankruptcy Attorney
    Seattle Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney
    Seattle Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney

3. Paul Arnold Nidich

2

Answered . Unfortunately, the IRS reviews returns in stages. The fact that it initially "corrected" your return to give you a credit you didn't take and sent you a refund, is "proof" of nothing. Your 2009 return was originally due on April 15, 2010. The IRS has three years to review and send letters claiming the taxpayer owes money. Therefore, the IRS has acted well within the three-year period to claim that you owed additional money on your 2009 return.
    I strongly suggest that you review the matter with a tax attorney. Local tax attorneys are probably best, but any attorney licensed by any state can practice before the IRS on a country-wide basis. Good luck, and find an attorney on Monday.
    Paul