Can the IRS take my refund if my ex- husband still owes back taxes and we filed jointly?

Asked over 1 year ago - Moreno Valley, CA

My ex-husband and I still owe $6000.00 for 2009. We were married and filed jointly at that time. I have only been employed for 2012. I should receive a refund, but will the IRS take it and pay it towards the 2009 debt?

1. Matthew Jason Staub

3

Answered . If you filed as married filing jointly then both of you are responsible for the backed taxes and the IRS can take a refund you would receive. You could look into equitable innocent spouse relief though.

2. Dana Whitney Atchley

2

Answered . The IRS will take your refund for 2012 and apply it to the taxes you and your ex-husband still owe for 2009. The only possibility for avoiding this situation is if you can qualify for innocent spouse or injured spouse relief. You haven't stated any facts that would be relevant to that determination; however, in general it is very hard to get innocent/injured spouse relief unless you were well and truly unaware of, and had no reason to suspect, that there would be unpaid taxes in 2009.

3. John P Fazzio III

Pro

1

Answered . If you filed married filing join the IRS can take your refund and apply it to the 2009 debt.