Can the IRS seize your car and social security disability income for delinquent taxes?

Asked about 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

It is my only car, there is no balance owed on it, it a 1979 with 125k miles, book value is likely $6000, taxes delinquent are roughly $5000. I paid over half of what I owed prior to my life being devistated with disasters, I have extreme hardship and am trying to work with them to pay remaining balance but Im broke, no job, and ill.

1. Linda Simmons Campbell

Pro

7

Answered . Usually the IRS will not seize your vehicle unless it is a luxury vehicle or you have more then one etc. They can levy up to 15% of your social security. It sounds like you would be eligible to be marked currently not collectible. Go to irs.gov to see if you have a low income taxpayer clinic near you. If not, please feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do to assist you at a minimal fee.

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

7

Answered . This really needs posted under tax issues, as there may be things tax lawyers can suggest to help get the damage of your problem reduced. And yes, they can take SS benefits for debts owed to the United States.

3. Henry Daniel Lively

7

Answered . Yes, the IRS has the ability to seize your assets, but usually does not with taxpayers in your situation. You sound like you have a hardship that will allow you to be placed on an uncollectable status or to make an offer in compromise that could eliminate your tax debt altogether. Bankruptcy may also be an option. You need to contact a local tax professional to review your situation. Best of luck to you.