Can the IRS offset a refund if its given for your child?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklin, ME

I defaulted on a student loan and the IRS offset or took all of my refund I was expecting. I'm pregnant at the moment and due in October. Next year if I'm eligible for a child tax credit ( I make 11,000a yr) can they offset it and take the funds?

1. Alicia Simone James

1

Answered . Yes. Because they have probably automatically set up the refunds to be applied towards the student loan debt.

2. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

1

Answered . The fact that the refund is generated from a child tax credit does not mean anything. A refund is a refund and in the instance you describe it can be used for offset.

3. Linda Simmons Campbell

Pro

Answered . You should contact the loan holder and see if you can work out something with them until you get back on your feet. You may find that they can work out something that is agreeable to both of you. If you do not then they will take your refunds until your loan is paid in full.