Can the IRS make me pay for my husband back taxes?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

My husband and I are currently separated but still married and We have never filed taxes together . He owes thousands of dollars from 3 years of not paying taxes on his business. Now that IRS has seized his property and put liens on things, are they able to come after me? I do not own any property and my name is not on anything he owns or vice versa

Additional information

I forgot to put that we were married at the time he accrued the debt, but like I said, he filed taxes under his business and I always filed single, never married

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Joseph Pearman


    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If no joint income filings (Form 1040), then you are not responsible.

    If the business tax delinquencies are payroll taxes (Form 941) and you participated in the business, then it is possible that you could be assessed the trust fund recovery penalty if you meet the definition of Responsible Person. A TFRP assessment results in personal liability regardless of the type of business entity (corporation, LLC, etc.).

  2. Robert John Haeger


    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Since you did not file the tax returns jointly with your husband, it is highly unlikely the IRS will make any claim on you for your husband's taxes.

  3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Not unless you filed jointly.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more

Related Topics


There are different types of debt, but all involve one person (the debtor) owing money to another (the creditor). Terms of repayment are governed by a contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,600 answers this week

3,342 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,600 answers this week

3,342 attorneys answering