Can the IRS grab a deceased persons small (4,000) checking account

New York, NY |

I;m the only beneficiary of my father who died in Manhattan without a will, his only asset is a small checking account (4000) but the IRS sid he owned some taxes and had tried to attach it previously, he fought it and the IRS did not take anything.
Now that he is dead can they try to grab this checking account, I'm in the process of filing the Small Estate Affidavit,

If there is a debt against the estate, then that needs to be resolved before there is a distribution to the heirs. A tax debt is a debt against the estate.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

You need to consult an attorney to assist you further.

Attorney Advertising. The information given above is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.