Can the IRS garnish your wages?

Asked almost 4 years ago - Elk Grove, CA

The IRS hasbeen taking the refund from my tax return since 2009, does the IRS usually garnish your wages less than 1500. owed?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Answered . The IRS has the full power to seize your assets for past due amounts. This includes garnishing wages, levying on bank accounts, and taking your tax refund.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
  2. Answered . Taking you tax refund is not a garnishment but is an offset and is allowed. The IRS will garnish your wages if not paid. I don't know all of their policies and their policies change. You need to develop a plan to pay them because $1500 will become $1700 etc.

    Disclaimer of California Attorney. Laws differ from state to state. Although the above response is believed to be... more
  3. Answered . Yes, indeed, the lovely IRS can pretty much do what it wants when you own money...and they have significant resources in locating any assets you may have and any employment you may be enjoying and any bank accounts that you possess. So, either call them to make arrangements to pay them or engage a tax attorney to assist you in the resolution of the will not get any better with time.

    By Grace...
    Shawn Jackson ESQ. (707) 584-4529
    Business Development Attorney EMAIL:

    No communication resulting herein shall create an attorney-client relationship unless a separate retainer agreement is signed by attorney and client. The information provided is not legal advice nor is it conveyed in the course of an attorney-client relationship, but is intended merely as a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel such as any attorney in this office in a subsequent email communication (agreement) and the formation of an attorney client relationship.

  4. Answered . Yes, they can garnish your wages and often do to collect back taxes. Your best option is to talk with them and work out a payment plan or other option to prevent enforced collections.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,142 answers this week

3,686 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,142 answers this week

3,686 attorneys answering