Can the IRS garnish only my wages from a joint tax return?

My ex-husband and I divorced in 2007. We established in the divorce decree that he was responsible for all back taxes. I just got a letter from the company I work for stating that the IRS is garnishing my wages for 2001, 2,3 and 4. I was in complete shock because I thought he had taken care of this and this is the first time I had heard anything about it. I called him and he told me that he was not being garnished. He said he needs to get the last few years filed and then will contact the IRS about an offer in compromise. Once he does this, will they remove the garnishment from my check or do I need to contact them? Also, what do I do if he doesn't resolve this? The IRS isn't leaving me enough money to pay my rent, etc. Thanks in advance!

Houston, TX -

Andrew B Gordon

Andrew B Gordon

Tax Lawyer - Lake Zurich, IL

In the IRS's eyes it doesn't matter what the divorce decree says, but that you are both liable for any joint tax liability. You should immediately contact a tax attorney who can get in touch with the IRS and try to avoid or delay your garnishment.

Best,
Andrew B Gordon
847-580-1279

Everett R. Buck

Everett R. Buck

Tax Lawyer - Houston, TX

The divorce decree is an order regarding the agreement between you and your ex, the IRS is not a party to it and is not bound by it. If you have to pay the taxes, you may be entitled to reimbursement from your ex. Further, even if your ex enters into a payment plan or offer with the IRS, that does not stop the IRS from collecting from you any amount that has not been paid yet. You probably ought to contact a tax attorney to find out what your options are regarding the IRS collection activity against you.

Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Evanston, IL

If you owe taxes to the IRS, it can garnish your wages to collect. But there are payment options for you to avoid garnishment. As my colleagues pointed out, you need to settle this matter with your ex with the help of a competent attorney in your state.

Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Bankruptcy Attorney - Houston, TX

I suggest hiring a tax lawyer, but if you filed a joint tax return then they can go after either one of you.

John P Corrigan

John P Corrigan

Business Attorney - White Plains, NY

I concur with my colleagues as to the joint liability owed to IRS. However, hire a CPA or tax attorney to discuss "Innocent Spouse Relief" -- see enclosed link: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc205.html.
Also there is a program known as "Offer In Compromise" which may be a viable alternative.
Finally, given the taxes due are well past 3 years old you may want to speak with a Bankruptcy attorney as well so will add a tag for that in addition to the other tags I added that are more focused on your issues.