Can the IRS come after me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Oradell, NJ

I live with someone who I just discovered has serious problems with the IRS and back taxes. We own no joint property other than a small account for common expenses (rent, utilities, etc. ). Can the IRS come after me for my partner's back taxes? Thank you

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Frank Anthony Natoli


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, you are not responsible for your partners tax problems unless you are married and filed a joint return.

    That said, and as my colleague noted, if they were to seize monies from a joint account that may affect you.

    You should discuss with a local tax professional.

    Most of us here offer a free phone consult.

    Best regards,
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

    The law firm of Natoli-Lapin, LLC (Home of Lantern Legal Services) offers our flat-rate legal services in the... more
  2. Robert J. Hoffman


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long as you aren't married or in business together, it doesn't sound like the IRS can possibly come after you. There aren't enough facts to be absolutely certain. It depends on what you mean by 'partner.'

    The IRS can definitely levy (seize) the joint account. Consider speaking with a local tax professional to be sure, as these situations depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case.

    Robert Hoffman is a tax attorney licensed in California. The information presented here is general in nature and... more
  3. Ronald J Cappuccio


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The IRS can levy your joint bank account and seize the balance. Since you have no other joint assets, you have nothing to worry about. You should direct the person you live with to good tax lawyer.

    I hope this helps!

    Ron Cappuccio
    856 665-2121

    If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary... more
  4. Timothy Michael McGinn

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . My advice would be to close your joint account immediately. Although you are not personally responsible you do not want to run into any problems down the road. You should advise your partner to seek out help right away to resolve his/her problems.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,021 answers this week

3,067 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,021 answers this week

3,067 attorneys answering