Can the IRS come after me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Oradell, NJ

I live with someone who I just discovered has serious problems with the IRS and back taxes. We own no joint property other than a small account for common expenses (rent, utilities, etc. ). Can the IRS come after me for my partner's back taxes? Thank you

1. Frank Anthony Natoli

Pro

10

Answered . No, you are not responsible for your partners tax problems unless you are married and filed a joint return.

That said, and as my colleague noted, if they were to seize monies from a joint account that may affect you.

You should discuss with a local tax professional.

Most of us here offer a free phone consult.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

2. Robert J. Hoffman

Pro

8

Answered . As long as you aren't married or in business together, it doesn't sound like the IRS can possibly come after you. There aren't enough facts to be absolutely certain. It depends on what you mean by 'partner.'

The IRS can definitely levy (seize) the joint account. Consider speaking with a local tax professional to be sure, as these situations depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case.

3. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

5

Answered . The IRS can levy your joint bank account and seize the balance. Since you have no other joint assets, you have nothing to worry about. You should direct the person you live with to good tax lawyer.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio
    856 665-2121

4. Timothy Michael McGinn

5

Answered . My advice would be to close your joint account immediately. Although you are not personally responsible you do not want to run into any problems down the road. You should advise your partner to seek out help right away to resolve his/her problems.