Skip to main content

Can the IRS attach my Social Security Disability payments?

Peoria, AZ |

In 2006/2007/2008 I filed my bussiness tax and did it wrong. I now owe the IRS around $15.000 out of $35,000. But now I am disabled and can't work as of April of 2012

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It's likely a bankruptcy could help you out of this problem, as the returns were filed and were likely assessed and they are over three years old. Speak to a bankruptcy attorney.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.


You could also speak to a tax attorney or a good CPA.

Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law regarding your question. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice.


But don't wait to get help.


Be very careful about what attorney you hire - getting rid of tax debts can be tricky and they need to know a) how to do it and b) how to find out the details about your taxes - when were they due, when were they filed, when were they assessed, was there an offer in compromise or other judicial action.. there's a lot to know and many attorney's don't know all the stuff! Good luck and go get 'em!

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer