Can the husband sell the house from under the wife

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

married 30yrs
lived in house together 11yrs
only husbands name on title

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Terry L. Hart

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you are concerned about this, you should do the followign things immediately:
    file suit for divorce
    request a temporary restraining order
    serve your husband
    file a Notice of Lis Pendens in the real estate records

  2. Fran Brochstein

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Husband should not be able to do so. I assume realtor should see wife living in the house. Notify realtor that you are the spouse. Most (if not all) will require spouse's signature on all paperwork.

    I assume that you want your half of the equity in the home. If you are concerned about this, perhaps you need to consult with an attorney.

    Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal... more
  3. Andrew Ryan Stubblefield

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You should definitely speak with an experienced family attorney in your area. I assume you're going thru a divorce (or are about to). An attorney can advise you as to how best to protect your rights in the community property and otherwise.

    Best of luck.

    Nothing in this is answer should be construed as legal advice. Neither the answer, nor its particular contents,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,826 answers this week

3,187 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,826 answers this week

3,187 attorneys answering