Can the husband sell the house from under the wife

Houston, TX |

married 30yrs
lived in house together 11yrs
only husbands name on title

Husband should not be able to do so. I assume realtor should see wife living in the house. Notify realtor that you are the spouse. Most (if not all) will require spouse's signature on all paperwork.

I assume that you want your half of the equity in the home. If you are concerned about this, perhaps you need to consult with an attorney.

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.

You should definitely speak with an experienced family attorney in your area. I assume you're going thru a divorce (or are about to). An attorney can advise you as to how best to protect your rights in the community property and otherwise.

Best of luck.

Nothing in this is answer should be construed as legal advice. Neither the answer, nor its particular contents, is intended to create an attorney-client relationship between the person asking the question and Andrew R. Stubblefield or Coats | Rose, PC. The person asking the question should contact a licensed attorney in their area and solicit actual legal advice based upon the particular facts and circumstances underlying their issue.

If you are concerned about this, you should do the followign things immediately:
file suit for divorce
request a temporary restraining order
serve your husband
file a Notice of Lis Pendens in the real estate records

Recommended articles about Divorce