Skip to main content

Can the government check if an illegal immigrant has been to the US if they never used a fake social security ?

Bellevue, WA |

If someone has been to the US illegally before and left on their own for personal reasons (were never caught/deported) and are now trying to apply for a non immigrant visa is there anyway the US government can see they have been here before if they never used a social security number?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Possibly. Do consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney who can address the specifics of you situation.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Maybe yes, maybe no.

The important thing is to NOT LIE on the visa application.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Possibly but unlikely. If no paper trail was left then it is unlikely anyone would know. As the previous attorney stated, it is best to contact an immigration attorney and provide them with all the details. They can then give you a complete answer.

Finding a lawyer is not that hard. You can search for an attorney on this site. Just click on the Find A Lawyer tab, put Immigration as your search term and enter the name of your city.

Look through the attorneys to make your choice. You may want to see what questions they answered (at the bottom of each profile) so that you can get a feel for one you would feel most comfortable in dealing with. Attorneys are people and come in all styles. The way they answer questions can give you a peek into the way they will likely deal with you.


Application forms and interviews are under oath. The person would be much better served by working with an attorney to explain the circumstances, get evidence, etc., i.e. make a strong case that the visa is justified, than not being truthful. It will only get worse. People don't seem to understand that if you start down that road, you will end up not being able to do anything ever. Just my suggestion.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I think so too.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer