Skip to main content

Can the Founder/Officer of a Corporation be in another state apart from the Corporation formation state?

Saginaw, MI |

I'm moving to Georgia, but want to keep the corporation in Michigan (my home state) because I named the company after my home city.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Yes, this can be done, but you need to have a resident agent and a registered office address based in Michigan. Many attorneys agree to do this. There are also corporations set up to do this. If you have someone in Michigan willing to do this, you would be good to go...literally. After this week's weather, there are a lot of other people in Michigan thinking that Georgia sounds like a better place to be, right now.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

  2. Yes-but follow attorney F redericks advice on resident agent.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

  3. Yes and follow this advice.

    The content of this answer has been prepared by Scott Legal Services, P.C. for general informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be considered or relied upon as legal advice. Transmission or receipt of the content of this information does not create, nor is it intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Because each matter involves differing facts, online readers should not act upon the content of this website without seeking legal advice.