Skip to main content

Can the foc take all my federal tax return for back support?

Negaunee, MI |

the state of michigan friend of the court took 100% of my federal taxes is this legal?i know throught mail they ca take my state taxes but my federal also

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Yes. Tax refunds can only be seized or garnished for, taxes that are due, child support, federally funded student loans and in some cases spousal maintenance (alimony).

    Disclaimer of California Attorney
    Although the above response is believed to be accurate, it should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice because the information provided is incomplete. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. No attorney client relation is formed with me without a written contract.

    Good Luck starts with a strategy and a plan.

    Robert J. Suhajda, MS,CPA
    17721 Norwalk Blvd. #43
    Artesia, CA 90701

    Tax Relief Lawyer. Former financial auditor and controller. Admitted to US Tax Court, Income Tax, IRS representation, Fiduciary income tax returns, Estate and Gift tax returns, Homeowner Association Strategist.

  2. Unfortunately, as the previous poster correctly noted, they can.

    Best of luck to you.

    Scott Reizen

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics