Can the federal government take my social security for federal restitution?

Asked about 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I owe $60.000 in federal restitution and the federal government took $180.00 out of my social security.How can i stop that?

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

9

Answered . Social Security benefits are exempt from garnishment EXCEPT in cases where the debt is owed for certain specific reasons like for a debt to the government or to satisfy a child support order. Here is a link to what SSA says about garnishing benefits (below).

So, the short answer is yes, they can garnish your benefits and short of paying of the debt immediately, you cannot stop it.

Sorry for the bad news. Hope this helps.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

4

Answered . Yes, the feds can take some of your social security money for certain debts. They usually can't take more than 25%. You can't really stop it, unless you have other funds to pay the underlying debt.

3. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

2

Answered . A defendant who has been ordered by a US district court, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. ยง 3613, to pay victim-related restitution, is subject to having his or her social security benefits garnished in an amount up to 25%.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782