Can the federal goverment and a city goverment charge a employer in the same eeoc case of discrimination,

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

the city and the state are investigating a employer, can they both charge the company with discrimination, if only one which should take the case

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Sure

2. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . Yes, and both can proceed simultaneously.

3. Josh Michael Friedman

Answered . I admit that it is a very confusing area of the law. Many agencies can begin an EEOC-type investigation, but usually one will defer to the other. In terms of an ultimate claim, it is typically up to the claimant to decide (assuming all deadlines are met, and depending on the nature of the specific claims involved) whether the claimant wants to proceed in federal court, before the Illinois Human Rights Commission, or the Chicago Commission on Human Relations. Different relief is available from different agencies, so it's important to review all of your options.

If you have questions on the best way to proceed, you should contact an experienced employment attorney. Many of us, myself included, will provide a free consultation.