Can the FBI or FBI agent question someone through a telephone call?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I apologize in advance for the legitimacy of this question specifically because the answer to this question will be used in an essay that i'm working on. The essay is about the variety of tactics FBI use to obtain information from suspects, witnesses, friends and family. Thank You very much for your time. Unfortunately, there were no answers to this question when I Google it.

1. Paula Brown Sinclair

Answered . Dear Asker: the knowledgeable and caring attorneys who populate Avvo devote their personal time to provide accurate information on the law and legal services for sincere good people who need legal assistance. WE ARE NOT HERE TO DO HOMEWORK, yours or any other lazy student. If you do not know how to perform research without Google, you are already beyond help.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Jeremy Brian Gordon

Pro

Answered . The FBI is free to question how it chooses, but typically that occurs in person. It is a federal crime for someone to lie to an FBI agent, even if the questioning is done over the phone.