Can the father of my child get 50 50 placement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

I live in Wisconsin. Me and the father of my child had live together and raised our child since he was born. He has been supportive and is a great father. My son is 6 now. We broke up and I moved with my parents. He wants 50 50 placement but I do not agree because I am looking for my sons stability. I told him he can see him whenever he likes and the child can stay weekends with him. But I wanted my son to have a primary household where he sleeps during weekdays (school days). We live about 2 miles apart. I also told him I was willing to work out a schedule. Sun through Tue and rotating Saturdays. Would that be considered 50 50? Is he likely to get the 50 50 placement?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . It certainly is possible that the court would award shared placement (50/50). However, it is not possible to predict how the case will turn out based upon the information given so far. The factors that the court will take into account in deciding placement are: (1) the nature of the relationship the parent has with the child; (2) whether the parents can work together on parenting issues; (3) whether the parents live in proximity to each other; and, (4) the plans each parent has for day-care, schooling, etc.

    This answer is for informational purposes only. By answering this question, no attorney/client relationship is... more
  2. Answered . Depending on the overnights or equivalent overnights, it may be 50-50. It appears to be less based on the wording of the question. I believe Dad has a good likelihood of receiving 50-50

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Shared custody

Shared custody is a joint custody arrangement where both parents share decision making and have physical custody of their child for an equal amount of time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,357 answers this week

3,792 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,357 answers this week

3,792 attorneys answering