Can the Executor of a Will file and split ownership of estate under $200,000.00 without probate ?

Asked over 4 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

What form can be filed to split property of deceased parents to siblings ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Benjamin J. Comin

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Yes, probate will be required but in Nevada if the estate is worth less than $200,000 there is an abbreviated version of probate called "summary administration." It moves a little quicker than a general administration but is, for the most part, very similar. I would recommend talking to a probate attorney who can guide you through the process. If your case if pretty straightforward most firms will quote you a flat fee to handle a matter like this.

    Best of luck.

    This is meant as general advice only and I recommend that you consult an attorney before relying on any advice given here.

  2. Dara J. Goldsmith


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If the assets in the estate are less than $100,000 and all debts of the estate have been paid or will be paid through the order of the court, an abbreviated action called a "set aside" may be initiated in Nevada to set aside ownership to the closest relatives or persons named in a Will, if there is a Will. If the estate assets exceed that threshhold, a probate must be initiated and administered.

    Additional issues that need to be examined are the provisions of the Wills of both parents, as well as any applicable survivorship provisions in those Wills.

    Disclaimer: The information contained in this answer is designed to enable you to learn more about the services that Goldsmith & Guymon offers to its clients. This information does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice, nor is it intended as a source of advertising or solicitation. Your use of this information does not create or constitute an attorney-client relationship. You should not consider this answer to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the assistance of an attorney to provide you legal advice based on the specific facts and circumstances of your particular situation.

  3. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . If there are assets in a decedent's name, then the will must be probated. Once a person dies no one can act for him or her except for an executor, where there is a will, or an administrator, where there is no will. Such fiduciaries need to be officially named by the register of will or probate court to have the legal power to act for an estate. They must follow the terms of the will and distribute assets according to such terms. However, many states have small estate procedures that make it easier to probate a will. You should speak with an estates attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is listed below.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,896 answers this week

3,666 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,896 answers this week

3,666 attorneys answering