Can the doctor or pharmacy find out I ordered Xanax with his DEA number? Is this a criminal illegal case or will they not know?

I'm 24 years old and I take Xanax for sleep so it's documented in my chart. My internist who prescribes it doesn't give me one for every night, he only gives me a 15 per month supply. He fills this electronically with the pharmacy but I noticed one time that his DEA license number is printed on my prescription bottle, so for the last 4 months I've been calling the pharmacy and pretending to be from his office and phone ordering extra refills using his DEA number.

My friend told me doctors get a report of whatever they prescribe from the DEA. Is this true? Also if they find out can I get into a lot of trouble? My friend said the pharmacy sometimes will straight call the DEA and sheriff or police.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron,

What you are doing is against federal and state law and could land you in prison serving a long sentence. You need to stop what you are doing right away and contact a criminal lawyer in your area to advise you of what you should do next.

As an aside, if your doctor does not suit your needs, you can always find another doctor who might be willing to give you more Xanax. This is a free country for law abiding citizens. Breaking the law is NOT the answer and you've created a very serious situation for yourself. Go see an attorney - NOW.

But nobody knows about it yet. If I just stop isn't it Better than bring something this to someone's attention?

Donny Emil Brand

Donny Emil Brand

An attorney has an obligation to keep anything you say to him in confidence. He or she is not allowed to tell anyone, with very limited exception, or they will lose their law license. You need professional guidance. Go seek it.

Aaron,

Doing what you have described in this note is illegal. I suggest before you do anything else, before you make a phone call, send a text, tell a friend about it -- i mean right now before you do anything else - you need to retain a criminal defense lawyer and sit down with him or her and figure out all of the issues that you have exposed yourself to as well as how to handle them moving forward from here. Good luck.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is provided after receipt of very limited information. For this reason it is not a substitute for a formal consultation with an attorney in your jurisdiction who has been retained and has been provided all of the relevant information. The author of the related question is strongly encouraged to obtain such a formal consultation prior to making any final decision about how or if to proceed with a legal matter. As there are time deadlines that apply to all legal actions, the question's author is encouraged to seek such consultation as soon as practicable.

As noted by my colleagues, yes you can get in A LOT of trouble. Consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area asap. There are many excellent ones here on AVVO and most offer free consultations. Good luck.

Falsifying prescriptions for controled substances is a violation of federal and California state law... and yes, we doctors do find out what our patient's do... sometimes a pharmacy will call us with a strangely written prescription - say for example, "one kilo of morphine." There is also a CURES database for tracking what prescriptions are filled. Stopping the illegal flood of presccription drugs has become a top priority for the DEA, FBI, and California Medical Board... not groups to mess with.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
Corona, CA 92879
(951)520-9684
www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Illegal. Retain a criminal lawyer.