Can the Department of Social Services make you work while you are receiving no funds from them? ( Temporary assistance)?

Gouverneur, NY |

My wife was sanctioned off our Temporary assistance case and said myself and the children would remain on it. Today we checked the EBT balance on the card and there is nothing on the card as far as food stamps or cash assistance are involved. Can they legally make her continue to work while were not getting anything for it? Seem there is some sort of labor law against this.

1. Yes. Government programs can have pre-qualification requirements. In many situations one must have performed a specific number of actions prior to eligibility for a program. An example is SSDI. Under this program the average person is required to have worked for 10 years and made a threshold amount before they qualify for benefits.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by attorney Clint Curtis as general information and not specific legal advice. Specific advice can only be provided after a complete analysis of all information related to the asker. No attorney-client relationship is established by the use of the information provided. If you have additional questions please contact the law office.