Can the credit card company withdraw monies owed from a joint business account.

Dana Point, CA |

I owe monies to credit cards and will not be able to pay. I was advised by a lawyer to stop paying. How long before the creditors withdraw from my bank account. I also have a joint business account with my son. do all unpaid accounts go to court? I owe $30,000. with different cards. the largest part of $20,000. is on 1 card.

I do not qualify for bankruptcy. I have a reverse mortgage on the condo and it's going up in value .

De-authorize the automatic withdrawal at your bank.
    There my be a fee.

2. I'm very surprised that an attorney would advise you to stop paying your debts rather than contact the creditors to work out a payment arrangements. If you stop paying your credit cards, the creditors will sue you, obtain a Judgment and levy your bank accounts. You might want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney as to your options.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

3. If credit card issuer same as the bank most of them have cross collateral provisions which allow them to do that. If not as mentioned by other counsel they will eventually file suit obtain judgement and levy account.

If contemplating filing 7 then any payment to creditors prior to your filing could be categorized as preferential payment to creditors. Seek bankruptcy attorney advise in this regard.

Each creditor ages the receivables differently before collection and then law suit. Don't forget your credit reporting during this process and if you end up settling with them.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights.

4. A detailed review of your financial situation is in order. You can get a second opinion from another lawyer; just pay for a consultation. Gather all of the relevant documents and have another attorney review everything.