Can the credit card company withdraw monies owed from a joint business account.

Asked over 1 year ago - Dana Point, CA

I owe monies to credit cards and will not be able to pay. I was advised by a lawyer to stop paying. How long before the creditors withdraw from my bank account. I also have a joint business account with my son. do all unpaid accounts go to court? I owe $30,000. with different cards. the largest part of $20,000. is on 1 card.

Additional information

I do not qualify for bankruptcy. I have a reverse mortgage on the condo and it's going up in value .

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . De-authorize the automatic withdrawal at your bank.
    There my be a fee.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm very surprised that an attorney would advise you to stop paying your debts rather than contact the creditors to work out a payment arrangements. If you stop paying your credit cards, the creditors will sue you, obtain a Judgment and levy your bank accounts. You might want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney as to your options.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If credit card issuer same as the bank most of them have cross collateral provisions which allow them to do that. If not as mentioned by other counsel they will eventually file suit obtain judgement and levy account.

    If contemplating filing 7 then any payment to creditors prior to your filing could be categorized as preferential payment to creditors. Seek bankruptcy attorney advise in this regard.

    Each creditor ages the receivables differently before collection and then law suit. Don't forget your credit reporting during this process and if you end up settling with them.

    In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended and... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A detailed review of your financial situation is in order. You can get a second opinion from another lawyer; just pay for a consultation. Gather all of the relevant documents and have another attorney review everything.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,955 answers this week

3,723 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,955 answers this week

3,723 attorneys answering