Can the credit card companies take my social security, retirement or my deceased husbands civil service pension?

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond, VA

I am 71 years old, not in good health and can no longer work. I cant afford to make my minimum credit card payments. Can the credit card companies take what money I get direct deposited in to my bank account?

1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

Pro

4

1

Answered . I have practiced Social Security law in Virginia for 35 years. I can tell you your Social Security check cannot be attached. I would be careful about your bank account. If monies are co-mingled in that account, it is possible the account would lose the individual protection of such laws as the ones that protect Social Security checks. Contact your local legal aid society for more assistance. The legal aid society in Richmond can be contacted at (804) 358-4766.

2. Susan A. Wuchinich

3

2

Answered . Basically, no. Pension as a rule are generally off limits. However, I would cross check with AARP's Legal Counsel for the Elderly. You should call Legal Hotline at (202) 434-2120,

3. David J. McCormick

1

Answered . Great advice so far. I would just add that if you rally want to protect your social security payments, you should set up a separate bank account for these deposits. That way it is clear this is protected social security money that cannot be attached or garnished.