Can the court subpoena text messages of phone services such as AT&T?:

Filed under: Civil rights

I want to find out what the Defendant text messaged to another individual. Can a court order help me obtain this info?

I was recently involved in a case like this and unless something new has come out, I am fairly certain you cannot see the actual text message, but you can definitely have subpoenas served upon the service provider and get a very detailed record of length of calls, amount of data in texts etc. Of course if you can get the actual device, many folks aren’t smart enough to delete their texts.

By furnishing a response to this question, neither Mark S. Senter nor the law firm Cowles & Thompson, PC, in no way intend to establish an attorney client relationship. Prior to such a relationship being established, the identity of the potential client and any and all adverse parties must be known and a complete conflicts check performed, BEFORE any attorney client relationship can even be considered or contemplated. Thus any information provided to you on this website, should be considered purely informational and not legal advice

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights