Skip to main content

Can the county sell a peice of land used for rain water runoff or drainage?

Hemet, CA |

I bought a peice of land from the county at a tax sale and i was looking at the wrong parcel. It is essentially a pit with a fence around it and a gutter for rainwater to drain into it creating a pond. So now i own a peice of land thats basically a small pond. Is there anything i can do or am i stuck with this pond?

Attorney Answers 3


I think they can... at a tax sale. The sale is final. Unfortunately you might be stuck with it.

Mark as helpful

Posted sounds like the last person in your situation stopped paying the property taxes and the county sold it at a tax sale. The only problem is that someone needs to buy it at the sale. You should look into getting liability insurance in case there is an accident around the water. Good luck.

Mark as helpful


You are stuck owning this pond unless you can get someone to buy it from you. Otherwise, if you stop paying the property taxes on it for 5+ years, the county could possible foreclose on its tax lien.

Mark as helpful

5 found this helpful

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics