Can the cops knock your door down if you have a warrant for your arrest

San Jose, CA |

this warrant is for child support I do have a past prison record but havent been in trouble for 4 years

1. They probably can if you don't open the door. Every situation is different. If you haven't been picked up on the warrant get an attorney to help you resolve this situation.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. Did this already happen, or are you concerned that it may happen? They probably have the authority to knock down your door if they know you're inside and you won't answer, but I would think they wouldn't do so for a child support warrant.

Best,

Nicholas M. Loncar, Esq.
    t: 323.803.4352 | f: 323.617.3838
    www.iDefendLosAngeles.com
    Nicholas.Loncar@iDefendLosAngeles.com
    Sunset Law Building | 1295 W Sunset Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA | 90027

3. If they have a warrant for your arrest, have probable cause to believe you are inside and you do not let them in after being informed of the warrant, yes, they can break the door down. You need to get a criminal defense lawyer immediately.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.