Can the California FTB garnish my wages from alleged taxes owed in 1991 & 1992?

Asked over 1 year ago - Irvine, CA

According to an SSI wage earnings record I made $1,043 in 1991 and $243 in 1992. I recently received a garnishment from these 2 tax years. I did not file taxes either year. I now owe FTB in excess of $8,000. in back taxes/fees and interest (I received my first notice in late 2012) based on an "earning potential" according to the FTB in CA - for a class I took in 1991 when I was 19 years old. Is this legal? What can I do... if anything??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dheeraj Kumar Singhal

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . You need to speak with a Tax Attorney. The FTB has a 20 year statute of limitations on debt collection. However, the time may not start running until the debt has discovered by the FTB.

  2. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . It seems difficult to believe that you would have liability for something that occurred over 20 years ago and you are just finding out about it now. I suppose anything is possible. So either you must get on the phone with the FTB and solve this, or you need some CPA or tax attorney to get to the bottom of this on your behalf. The FTB may seek to put a lien on your assets or wages if you don't get right on it. If the liability is now up to $8,000, then it is time to hire someone like us (there are many other fine tax lawyers on AVVO as well) to work on it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,641 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,641 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering