Can the CA report the same account twice to the credit bureaus? Why didn't the CA have my address or phone number?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

Apparently I owed US BANK $681.00 from 2005. I noticed that on 11/01/2012 a collection agency had reported 2 opened accounts (1 of the accounts was for $681 and the other was for $781.00). I called the collection agency and they said the $781.00 was interest from 2005 until 2012. The collection agency did not have any of my 4 previous addresses or any phone number to contact me so they reported it to the credit bureaus. How can US BANK turn the account over to this collection agency and not give them an address or phone number? Also, the 2 accounts in collection are for the same (original) US BANK account. I thought they could only report it to the bureaus 1 time. Why did it get reported twice. I disputed it because I didn't know what it was before I called the CA.

1. Norma Nodal Duenas

3

1

Answered . Whether it is being reported twice really depends on looking at the status of the accounts that are being reported. If the accounts show as charged off , transferred or sold then this is a non active debt. The debt can be sold or transferred numerous times and that is why you may see the same account appear twice. Only one of these accounts should be an active debt and the other accounts should show a status that makes them inactive. If this is not the case then you can dispute the duplicate account.

2. Mikalah Liviakis

Pro

Answered . Original creditors can be required to turn over the information relating to where they sold or transferred the loan. Some times they will voluntarily provide it.