Can the CA Dept. of motor vehicles legally do this? Is there any class action suit against the Dept. of Motor for doing this?

I bought a 1988 Chevy van in DEC. 2012 that was inoperable but Dept. of Motor Vehicles in CA was not notified. When I went to register it, the Dept. of Motor Vehicles charged me for 5 years prior for registration fees even though I did not own it then.

El Cajon, CA -

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Litigation Lawyer - Montclair, CA

Yes, they can do this and they do it all the time. If you want it registered, then you will have to pay the amounts to get it registered. Contact the prior owner and ask them to pay for the time they owned it. If they refuse, you can take them to small claims court since your claim is probably less than $10,000.

Eric Lechtzin

Eric Lechtzin

Class Action Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

I agree with the first answer to this question. In response to your question as to whether this is the type of case that is suitable for treatment as a class action, no it is not.

Timothy John Broussard

Timothy John Broussard

Litigation Lawyer - Irvine, CA

I dont' see a Class Action suit. Also, governmental immunities come into play. Your issue is with the prior owner.

This email does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.

Related Advice