Can the biological father choose to terminate his parental rights without a pending adoption?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lewisville, TX

If so what forms would need to be filled out and how would they be filed?

Additional information

I am the biological mother. My son is almost 2 years old and his father has not even spent the equivalent of week with him since he was born. He shows no interest in our son and makes no attempt to see him or call to ask about him. I have thought about talking to the father about terminating his rights since my son doesn't know him I feel it would be in the best interest of my child. The father has paid child suport on and off for the last 9 months but it behind a great deal, I am not interested in the child support I am only interested in proving my son with the life he deserves.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Mark Allen Land

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is unlikely the court would approve it. Courts and the state want two parents to be on the hook for the obligation of supporting children.

  2. JaPaula C Kemp

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on the circumstances. Courts are reluctant to leave a child without two parents. Consult with an attorney regarding your circumstances to see if he/she believes it is something the court would consider.

    The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the... more
  3. Maria Tsao Tu

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not sure why you want to terminate parental rights. Are you the biological father or biological mother? What is the motivation behind this question? If you are the father, are you trying to avoid paying child support? If you are the mother, are you trying to protect your daughter from harm? Depending on your reason, there maybe other options than termination. You need to talk to a lawyer about these options. Based on your reasons, your lawyer can help you find the best way to accomplish your goal, with or without termination. As for what forms you need to fill out, the answer is complicated. In short, there are no standard forms.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  4. Leslie Starr Barrows


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Usually judges don't believe that terminating parental rights is in the best interest of the child/children.

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,983 answers this week

3,394 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,983 answers this week

3,394 attorneys answering