Skip to main content

Can the auto mechanic sue me for unpaid work?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Car repairs

I was unsatisfied with work done on my car so i went to the lot and took my car back. now they are calling me threating to file a suite.

Attorney Answers 2


You cannot just take your car back without paying because you decide you are unsatisfied. The mechanic is legally entitled to the fair value of the work performed. Negotiate a deal so that both of you are satisfied.

Fighting about this in court, which lawsuit the mechanic can pursue against you, will cost you both more in court costs and legal fees than the car repairs most likely.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


The short answer is YES! Alan is correct that you should try to work something out with the mechanic before the lawsuit costs you more than the repair.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Car repairs topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics