Can text messages will use as evidence and act as a legal contract if the person who owes the money admits that its owed.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

an airconditioning repairman agreed to pay me a 10% comission on a $65,000 job that i recommended him or. He agreed to pay me $5000. there was no written agreement. However, he asked me by text message if he could only pay me $4000 instead of $5000 . Then the day he got the $65,000 check he text me and said that he has got my $4000. He never paid me . Can theses text messages serve as legal contract and as evidence that the money is owed.

1. James Carl Eschen III

7

Answered . As Mr. Mann states, the text messages are admissible to show an agreement. The big problem might be "authenticating" them. You have to show that the messages are what you say they are, including that the other person sent them.

2. Lloyd Stewart Mann

Pro

5

Answered . Weather or not an enforceable contract exists would be determined based upon a variety of factors. Text messages, however, can certainly be used as evidence in your case if they are relevant to the dispute.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

Answered . Yes. The text messages can be used as evidence in small claims court to prove the existence of an oral contract.