Can text messages be used in court, if so how

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

My husband sent me threats via text messages, but in court he makes me look like a lier when I bring up the threats.

1. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Oh yes they absolutely can be used as evidence. Give the phone to your attorney so she can bring it in for you to use at the hearing. You can also print out a transcript of the text messages. Emails and voice mail and/or messages left on answering machines can also be used. You can make tape recordings of the messages left on the machine and or voice mail or just again bring the phone and the judge can listen on the phone.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . Print out the text messages if you can. Better yet, get permission from the court to bring in your phone. If you do not have a lawyer, you need one.

3. Mary Kathleen Neal

3

Answered . In Domestic Violence Court, the judges will often look at text messages as evidence.