Can text messages be used in court, if so how

Chicago, IL |

My husband sent me threats via text messages, but in court he makes me look like a lier when I bring up the threats.

Oh yes they absolutely can be used as evidence. Give the phone to your attorney so she can bring it in for you to use at the hearing. You can also print out a transcript of the text messages. Emails and voice mail and/or messages left on answering machines can also be used. You can make tape recordings of the messages left on the machine and or voice mail or just again bring the phone and the judge can listen on the phone.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

2. Print out the text messages if you can. Better yet, get permission from the court to bring in your phone. If you do not have a lawyer, you need one.

3. In Domestic Violence Court, the judges will often look at text messages as evidence.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Domestic violence topics