Can testator/decedent's separate personal property account be recovered for probate?

Asked about 2 years ago - Honolulu, HI

The testator had certificates of deposit that was his separate property before entering into marriage, and has gifted them to beneficiaries in the Will. After his death the CDs were removed somehow from the account by the widow, before the probating of the Will? Can it be recovered from the widow after it is discovered in Probate Court that the property was separate and not community property? What law violations has she committed against the decedent and beneficiaries? The widow showed the Will to beneficiaries 2 weeks before the death of the testator.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I do not know. Based on your summary, it is difficult to see how the widow would have been able to legally access the CDs in the first place. If we know how that was done, it would be easier to give you some kind of answer. The probate court can generally fashion a remedy, if something inappropriate was done. You are best off retaining an attorney to assist you with this, particularly if the accounts have significant value.

    It also strikes me as possible that the CDs could have been a spousal allowance or exemption through probate. You should have an attorney review the entire probate file and investigate further.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering