Can term life insurance policies be cancelled, or not renewed due to health or age?

Jacksonville, FL |

Are those the only type of life insurance policies that can be cancelled, or not renewed? Are there some
life insurance policies that can't be cancelled?

Term life insurance is unique in the sense that, at the end of the term, the underwriters can re-assess the risks of the particular insured. At the end of the term, sometimes rates go up, down, stay the same, or sometimes coverage is cancelled. Health and age may be two factors they look at, depending on your situation. As some of the other attorneys pointed out, however, no concrete answer can be provided without reviewing the terms of the particular policy.

2. All sorts of policies are canceled, but many wrongfully, which is why people retain a life insurance lawyer.

3. It depends on the policy's provisions and applicable laws. No one can answer your question except to say "Maybe."

I am a Florida attorney who practices in the areas of personal injury, criminal defense, and civil rights. You can call me to arrange a free consultation about your case if it is in one of those three areas. My phone number is 407-463-3506. My answers on AVVO do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Your case must be evaluated in full in light of all all its complexities. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertising. Before you decide, ask the firm to send you free written information about the lawyer’s qualifications and experience.

4. I agree, it depends on the wording of the policy. Generally speaking, most term life insurance policies cannot be cancelled by the insurance company for health reasons.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

5. Have a life insurance lawyer review the contract.