Can't pay the spouse and child support after being terminated from work. What should I do?

I currently got terminated from work and for that I can't carry on paying the alimony and child support as required by the court. What legal action should I do to this matter?

Riverside, CA -

Attorney Answers (1)

Celeste A Johansson

Celeste A Johansson

Family Law Attorney - Oakland, CA

FILE A MOTION TO MODIFY CHILD AND SPOUSAL SUPPORT. You will only be able to modify it retroactive to when you have filed the motion, so until you file it you are accruing arrears. You will owe the support amount until you get a new court order that says otherwise so do NOT delay. Go to your local self help center or find the documents online. Good luck.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.