Can't get a job because of an assault charge.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Killeen, TX

My wife and I were arguing and she continued to hit me so I pushed her and she called the police. She made a statement and claimed to press charges but later dropped them. At this point I believe the state has pick up the charges. What can be done to have the charges dismissed? I am unable to secure employement because of the assault charge. I haven't been to court yet because I was out of the country but now that I am back this need to be handled.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephen Neil Foster

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Seems like you need to win your case. Whether that is a result of getting a dismissal or winning a jury trial. The good news is that you haven't plead to the charges yet. Often people plea either guilty or no contest not realizing that the charges will be on their records forever. The specific facts of a case are always very important but it does seem like you have a defense. Also, assaults of this (or any nature) have some of the highest rates of acquittal of any type of criminal charge.

  2. Cynthia Russell Henley

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You must hire a lawyer. Even if your wife does not want the charges pursued, chances are that the state will pursue them anyway. You will probably have to go to trial.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,329 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,329 answers this week

3,208 attorneys answering