Skip to main content

Can't afford a lawyer, should I represent myself?!

Navarre, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I found a fone in a single bathroom & was going 2 give 2 the cashier, but instead I got pulled 4 drinks & the dance floor! Then cops questioned us if we had found a fone I said yes here, I was going 2 give this! But the girl pressed charges for Theft! I have a clean record, got denied a public defender cuz of a lien on my car exceeding $5000, my car is paid off I'm separated, no job & have 4 kids & I can't afford a lawyer, how do I get help?!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Based on you post alone, representing yourself would be a BIG mistake.

    You need to do whatever it takes to hire a criminal defense attorney--sell property, borrow money from friends/family.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  2. NO. NO. NO.You have to find a way. Representing yourself is a recipe for disaster.

    John S. Riordan, Esq.
    West Palm beach, FL
    (561) 650-8291

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

  3. No, you should not represent yourself. With no prior record, you may be eligible for diversion, which would ultimately lead to dismissal. Contact a local attorney who can guide you through the application process, or, in the alternative, negotiate with the State on your behalf.

  4. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area! If you cannot afford one you should request a public defender! Good luck!

    The information presented is for information purposes only based on the information provided. An attorney client relationship is not formed.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics