Can't afford a lawyer, should I represent myself?!

Asked about 2 years ago - Navarre, FL

I found a fone in a single bathroom & was going 2 give 2 the cashier, but instead I got pulled 4 drinks & the dance floor! Then cops questioned us if we had found a fone I said yes here, I was going 2 give this! But the girl pressed charges for Theft! I have a clean record, got denied a public defender cuz of a lien on my car exceeding $5000, my car is paid off I'm separated, no job & have 4 kids & I can't afford a lawyer, how do I get help?!

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Based on you post alone, representing yourself would be a BIG mistake.

    You need to do whatever it takes to hire a criminal defense attorney--sell property, borrow money from friends/family.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  2. John Skyler Riordan

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . NO. NO. NO.You have to find a way. Representing yourself is a recipe for disaster.

    John S. Riordan, Esq.
    West Palm beach, FL
    (561) 650-8291

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm... more
  3. Tracey Lyn Sticco

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No, you should not represent yourself. With no prior record, you may be eligible for diversion, which would ultimately lead to dismissal. Contact a local attorney who can guide you through the application process, or, in the alternative, negotiate with the State on your behalf.

  4. Michael Leonard Mastrogiovanni


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should consult with a criminal defense attorney in your area! If you cannot afford one you should request a public defender! Good luck!

    The information presented is for information purposes only based on the information provided. An attorney client... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,190 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,190 answers this week

3,155 attorneys answering