Can step mother claim my son as a dependent. Also can step mother sign school paperwork for child counseling & childpsychologist

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have information that the step mother has signed as legal parent. Do doctor visits and child psychology meetings without being informed or asked to attend meeting concerning my Child.

1. Jack McRae

2

Answered . You asked about "claim my son as a dependent". Not sure what the context is. Are you referring to income tax reporting/exemptions? Generally: no.

On the signing school paperwork: Absent a court order granting some form of legal custody or guardianship, step parents have very little rights in regards to their step-children. It's the bio-mom and bio-dad that usually retain legal custody.

You should seek a legal consultation asap.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . If she is married to your ex and they file jointly yes. You should go back to court to clarify the issues of doctors visits and psychology meetings. Perhaps if the father is not available to provide transportation it could be necessary especially if you can not attend either. You really need to talk to an attorney