Can SS#'s and birthdays be on personnel paperwork?

Eureka, CA |

I work for a city in California and our attorney is saying that we can no longer have SS#'s and birthdays on any paperwork in the personnel and payroll files, do you know why?

Yes, generally to protect against identity theft. Also, there are many laws in California that pertain to the use/protection of Social Security Numbers in the workplace, including California Civil Code Sections 1798.85-1798.89 and Labor Code Section 226(a). Hope you found this answer to be helpful.

Information provided on this website is not legal advice, nor should you act on anything stated in this article without conferring with the Author or other legal counsel regarding your specific situation. No attorney-client relationship is created by this website.

2. To guard against identify theft.

They say you get what you pay for, and this response is free, so take it for what it is worth. This is my opinion based on very limited information. My opinion should not be taken as legal advice. For true advice, we would require a confidential consultation where I would ask you questions and get your complete story. This is a public forum, so remember, nothing here is confidential. Nor am I your attorney. I do not know who you are and you have not hired me to provide any legal service. To do so would require us to meet and sign written retainer agreement. My responses are intended for general information only.

3. Social Security Numbers and dates of birth are protected by privacy laws, as is medical information. Evidently, your employer is taking steps to protect these confidential matters, and you should be happy about this. Your employer appears to be targeting the kind of information that can be used for identity theft; I applaud this effort.

*** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***