Can SS#'s and birthdays be on personnel paperwork?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Eureka, CA

I work for a city in California and our attorney is saying that we can no longer have SS#'s and birthdays on any paperwork in the personnel and payroll files, do you know why?

1. James Yunhao Wu

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, generally to protect against identity theft. Also, there are many laws in California that pertain to the use/protection of Social Security Numbers in the workplace, including California Civil Code Sections 1798.85-1798.89 and Labor Code Section 226(a). Hope you found this answer to be helpful.

2. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

2

Answered . To guard against identify theft.

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

2

Answered . Social Security Numbers and dates of birth are protected by privacy laws, as is medical information. Evidently, your employer is taking steps to protect these confidential matters, and you should be happy about this. Your employer appears to be targeting the kind of information that can be used for identity theft; I applaud this effort.